The thematic of the week has been Mamba Mentality; with Kobe challenging various athletes to reach very specific plateaus, meant to challenge the individual. And for Kyrie Irving, he’s embraced Mamba Mentality long before it had a catchy name. Looking back at his favorite Kobe signature, the ‘Bruce Lee’ Nike Kobe V which ranked no. 11 in our KB20: Celebratory Countdown last year is a favorite of Irving. Who took to social media to introduce us to the cross-over featuring the Black Mamba and Uncle Drew.
An ode to his friend, peer and mentor…the Nike Kyrie 3 takes after the Bruce Lee color scheme, complete with the four slashes and takes after Kyrie’s Christmas ‘Samurai’ themed signature from 2016. The complete breakdown is as follows:
1. The yellow and black contrasted upper pays tribute to Lee’s trademark colors
2. Four red slash marks connect to Lee
3. A snakeskin-inspired medial side represents the black mamba, fading to Samurai on the lateral side for Kyrie – a metaphorical torch passing
4. The new Kyrobe logo fuses Bryant and Irving’s Nike logos into one
5. Samurai textile print on the lateral side is similar to the pattern on the initial KYRIE 3 colorway worn by Irving in a big 2016 Christmas day win
Release is scheduled for September 15th on SNKRS and at select retailers.